Wanaka has all the stunning landscapes without Queenstown's crowds. You can easily arrive into Queenstown airport then skip straight up the road to check out Wanaka and its environs. This four-day Wanaka itinerary is great in either summer or winter - in winter you can just swap swimming for skiing!
- Arrive in Queenstown - the tourist gateway of NZ's South Island.
- Pick up your car from the JUCY branch - we're located in the airport so this is easy!
- Drive to Wanaka via the Crown Range. It's a one-hour drive with spectacular views.
- If you are in a self-contained campervan, camping is ideal in any season. Wanaka has several well-equipped campgrounds with epic views. We recommend the Glendhu Bay campsite if you're feeling adventurous. For a little more luxury, check out the Edgewater Resort.
- If it's a Thursday make sure you check out the Farmer's Markets right in the middle of town.
- Dinner - treat yourself! After a long day of driving head to Francesca's Italian Kitchen for a delicious modern Italian meal
- Breakfast at Urban Grind - best coffee in town!
- Head to Makarora and take a helicopter ride with Wilkin River Jets. This family owned and operated business have been in Makarora for years and know the area so well. They can whisk you off to Mount Aspiring National Park for awesome views and plenty of photo opportunities.
- An alternative to the helicopter ride is a day trip to the Blue Pools - these stunning waters are a natural wonder and look amazing in the right light. You'll find them in Mt Aspiring National Park, near Makarora. The walk is 30 minutes each way, but allow plenty of time for photos!
- Stop anywhere that tickles your fancy on the drive from Wanaka to Makarora. This drive is amazing and you want to take it all in. Don't forget to do the #JUCYwave to all the JUCY vans you pass!
- Dinner - takeaways and beers on the lakefront at Bremner Bay as you watch the stunning sunset.
- Breakfast at Relishes Cafe.
- Kayaking and/or paddleboarding at Paddle Wanaka. They'll take you kayaking all over Lake Wanaka and even provide hot coffee in thermos flasks while out on the water!
- Lunch at Federal Diner - feast on the best food in town!
- It's time to get the legs pumping! Either do the Diamond Lakes Walk or the Mt Iron Walk.
- Dinner at Amigos Mexican Grill.
- Home time! Enjoy your drive home over the Crown Range. If you want to spend a night in Queenstown, Snooze is the way to go. If you're headed straight for the airport you can just grab a pizza from Miss Lucy's to fuel you for your flight!